Monday, June 23, 2014

Cursed by Trakena Prevost




What Inspires My Writing


When it comes to writing, inspiration is an author’s bread and butter. And when it comes to me, my inspiration can come from anywhere! But the ones below are a few of my favorites:


Random Musings. I love to sit around and just think on pure nonsense…lol! Sometimes it’s all about daydreaming while sitting on the couch, or taking a walk around the lake with my fiancés dog, but some quite time is always good for coming up with the best ideas. I also enjoy riding around in the car with no radio or any other distractions to work thoughts out in my mind. My idea for Cursed came from these musings. One day, I was sitting around thinking about the drug problems in the world, and began to wonder what it would look like if they had a supernatural source. That’s where Cursed started!


TV Surfing. I’m a huge television fanatic, and have a list of shows that I do not miss for anything (thank goodness for DVR). These shows often get me thinking about relationships and plot points and how other writers have put together stories and character development. My favorite type of stories right now are Korean Dramas. They’re filled with so much angst and sorrow and joy and love! Once you try them out, you completely get hooked by some of the crazy plots and the observations of people and what drives them. I get some great ideas from watching character development on the screen this way.


News, Facebook, Twitter, etc. I often get a lot of ideas about life, stories, and people from watching some news and reading stories on social media. Maybe it’s because my dad’s a cop and he’s always told the best stories, but I love to see what’s going on with people’s lives and what challenges they face and encounter. That often gives me ideas for how to develop my characters.


People Watching. I love to sit around and watch people around me. Being slightly introverted, when I meet a new group of folks I have a hard time really talking with them…especially if I know I’ll be seeing a lot of them over the years (like when I first met my fiancés family and such). So, I developed this love for just watching people at first. I observe what they do and how they interact, and that lets me know who the crazies are and who I can bond with. That’s been a huge help with my inspiration for the characters I write about.

Young Adult Urban Fantasy
Date Published: December 13, 2013

Half-succubus Jazz Watkins spends her days navigating the halls of Moreland High and her nights knee deep in Chicago drug dens hunting Suecai – an evil kind of incubi and succubae who devour the souls of humans. But when a leader of the Suecai curses her, Jazz has to track him down. Either she kills him before the curse burns through her, or she’ll become a full-fledged, out of control, soul sucking monster.


She’s got a handful of weeks, absolutely no leads, and her sexy best guy-friend and team member, Khan, covering her back. But will the growing attraction she feels for Khan get in the way of her mission to save her own life?

About the Author:

Trakena Prevost was born and raised in the great state of Texas, where everything IS bigger and the people are very friendly. She spends most of her time oscillating between being completely obsessed with reading and Korean dramas (to her wonderful boyfriends chagrin) and writing down the fantastic tales rumbling around in her head. When not reading and writing, Trakena spends her time working in HR for a major medical system in Houston, and hanging out with her family and friends.

Trakena has always loved the many worlds she's found in books, where everything was possible. As a child, you would often catch her enjoying a good story in the comfort of the AC, instead of wilting in the Houston heat (she showed great intelligence...even then). It didn't occur to Trakena that the fanciful stories she made up for fun could one day be out in the world, but now that they are she can't imagine it any other way!

Website: www.trakenaprevost.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TrakenaPrevostAuthor‎

Twitter: @trakenaprevost

No comments: